Sunday 25 December 2016

RIP my love, George


I am not sure what I should write about George Michael that could possibly explain what an influence he was on my life, or rather what he meant to me. From Last Christmas to Amazing - the crucifix earring and the stubble, the supermodels and the erotic music videos, George Michael defined pop culture,particularly fashion and sexuality for an entire generation. 



He was my first crush. He defined the kind of man I would look for and desire in the years to come. Rugged,older, broken,confident, damaged,sexy and intensely sexual. A man who could be both Father Figure and Fast Love(r). 

Imagine the disappointment of women when he was outed. Some how, that made him even more relatable.Not all of us are brave enough to 'come out'. He struggled with what was expected of him as a gay man. In fact, he once said his life had become tougher since the public declaration of his homosexuality. His big, fat Greek family was important to him and part of the reason for him staying in the closet was that. More than ever before, I loved George Michael for his emotional weakness and blatant sexual 'misdemeanour.'



He easily discarded earlier versions of himself with such rage.From Wham! to a solo artist, burning the infamous Faith jacket in Freedom 90, from straight to gay. He lived many lives in one. Yet, he remained true to his sound. You were more than the music to me. Thank you for being you. RIP George Michael.


No comments:

Post a Comment